Melissa's Granola Recipe
- 1.5 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (opt)
- (nuts below are general - you can mix it up however you want)
- 1 cup raw almonds (I mix 1/2 whole and half sliced almonds)
- 1/4 cup - raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup - raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup - pecans or other nut if you want or not if you don't
- few handfuls raisins, craizins, chopped dried apricots,or other dried fruit you like - I just eyeball it but 1/4-1/2 cup is probably right
- cinnamon - approx 1 tsp
- 1 dash of salt - just a pinch or so.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup grade B maple syrup - or if you can't find grade B any real maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (use the real stuff if poss)
Preheat oven to 350
line a baking sheet with parchment paper
In a bowl mix all dry ingredients together -
in a small saucepan melt on medium heat coconut oil, maple syrup, honey and brown sugar. Stir it while it melts together- don't boil it, just get it all liquified and mixed together. Add vanilla after you remove from heat.
pour liquid in with dry and mix well
spread out over baking sheet with back of spoon- should be evenly spread out not too thick but not with holes or too thin either - maybe 3/4" or so
cook it about 15 minutes and check - if the edges are browning, you can mix it a bit and flatten again and do another 4 or 5 minutes. If it's pretty brown take it out. I like mine a bit burnt so I usually do 20 or a bit more. Let it cool on rack for 15 or so minutes so it hardens.
then break up into clumps and enjoy!